These spicy little fellas are great for a midweek supper and at about 85 calories each, they’re pretty much guilt-free.
Using tinned crab is fine, but if you can get hold of fresh crab meat it’s worth the extra expense. And if you’re feeling adventurous you could always try preparing a whole fresh crab yourself.
Be warned though – I gave my monkey human sous chef a whole crab and told him to get on with it. He disappeared into the kitchen with various power tools and after an hour of crashing, smashing & swearing, he emerged mad-eyed & bleeding, covered in bits of shell whilst bearing less than a teaspoon of usable crab meat.
So on balance, if you are going with fresh, best get someone who knows what they’re doing to deal with it.
- 240g white crab meat (drained if tinned)
- 80g natural breadcrumbs
- 5 spring onions
- A thumb-size piece of fresh root ginger, peeled
- 1 tbsp Bang! Bang! Oil
- 2 red birds eye chillies
- 2 limes (1 whole, 1 zested & juiced)
- A bunch of fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped and stalks separated
- 2 free range eggs
- Plain flour
- Bang Bang Chilli Jam (or sweet chilli sauce)
- Bag of ready-made salad
- Olive oil
- Finely chop the ginger, chilli, coriander stalks and spring onions.
- Over a low heat gently sweat the spring onions for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the ginger, chillies and coriander stalks and cook for a further two minutes.
- Remove from the heat and put aside to cool.
- When the spring onion and chilli mix is cool add to a basin with the crab meat, lime juice and zest and Bang! Bang! Oil and mix well.
- Add half the breadcrumbs and add one of the eggs and stir well again until you have a slightly sticky mix.
- Flour your hands and then separate the mix out into 10 small patties.
- Beat the second egg together with 1 tablespoon of water, and put the remaining breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Coat each crab cake in flour, dip in the egg wash and then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C Fan.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan, and fry the cakes for 2-3 minute each side until the breadcrumbs have turned crisp and golden.
- Transfer to a baking tray and put in the oven for 5-10 minutes until piping hot all the way through.
- Serve with salad, Bang Bang Chilli Jam (or sweet chilli sauce), mayonnaise and wedges of lime.
Bang! Bang! Oil
It’s the antidote to bland food!Get Some Now!