Sweet, sour and hot hot hot, this sticky jam makes a great accompaniment to most fish and meat dishes.
Try it with my Bang Bang Crab Cakes.
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb size piece of ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 banana shallots, finely chopped
- 2 fresh red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, ground
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 250ml red wine vinegar
- 250g sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Bang! Bang! Oil
- Heat the oil in a small pan over a medium heat.
- Add the shallots and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the pepper, fresh chilli, ginger, garlic and spices. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a few more minutes until the tomatoes have started to soften.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and stir over the heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a slow simmer and then reduce the heat.
- Leave to simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the jam has reduced by about half and become thick and sticky. Depending on the size of pan you’re using you may find that you reach this point long before the 45 minutes is up – stir in a little water to keep it simmering for the full time.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool before serving (with my Bang Bang Crab Cakes of course).
Bang! Bang! Oil
It’s the antidote to bland food!Get Some Now!